Sunday, October 9, 2011

Weekly Wrap-Up (10/9) - Robot Monster

I was pretty busy this past week and only had the chance to see one movie. Sadly it was a real stinker! Luckily I had loads of fun watching it with my friends and it is always amusing to watch an episode of Mystery Science Theater 3000.


Robot Monster (1953)
The "robot monster" is a guy in a gorilla suit wearing a diving helmet that is supposed to be an alien. And the monster has a cool bubble making machine! The movie only runs for 66 minutes but still uses tons of stock footage as padding, including a scene of dinosaurs fighting from Lost Continent which I saw a few weeks ago! Although this movie is pretty boring, at least it is short. The character of "Ro-Man" was weird enough to keep me mildly interested. Even though the movie's low budget ($16,000) really shows, it was somehow a financial success at the time as it made $1 million at the box office. Today it is considered one of the worst movies ever made.
I saw the MST3K version which also features two episodes of Radar Men from the Moon featuring the character Commando Cody.  The riffs and host segments were pretty good considering this was a first season episode. Still, this is not one of the better episodes and if you are new to MST3K don't start here. I had only seen one other first season episode, Robot Holocaust, which I thought was a better MST3K. The early episodes don't have stingers, which is too bad as I love guessing what the stinger will be when watching a MST3K. The episode is an interesting watch for fans of the show to see what the show was like early on and Robot Monster is required viewing for bad movie lovers!
Trivia: Famous film composer Elmer Bernstein actually composed the music for this movie! This was one of his first projects and he would go on to bigger and better things.
Joel: "That, ladies and gentlemen, is the destroyer of the universe. I rest my case."
1/10

No comments:

Post a Comment